Sunday 4 February 2018

Interview with Lomi's Playground

Hello everybody!! It is time for the first interview of this year!! I had the honor of interviewing someone really talented: an amazing content creator for the BJD and doll-hobby: Lomilmalinde from Lomi's Playground. She shares incredible and detailed tutorials from a wide range of topics (faceups, mods, sewing, wigs, and more) for free!

I also need to extend a very special thank you to Lomi for doing this interview in such short timespan. As always, the text is in English and Spanish, and all the images and videos are used with permission.

So, let's start!

Hi there! Thank you so, so much for agreeing to the interview! Will you introduce yourself to the readers?
Thanks so much for having me! So, my name is Beth, but most people online know me as Lomi from my YouTube channel, Lomi’s Playground. I’m kind of an all-purpose artist living in the land of the Delta blues, Tennessee, in the United States. I’m actually a transplant to the south—I grew up near St. Louis, Missouri and haven’t learned how to make a perfect pitcher of sweet tea just yet, but I’m learning!
¡Hola! ¡Muchas, muchas gracias por aceptar la entrevista! ¿Te introducirías a los lectores?
¡Muchas gracias por tenerme! Mi nombre es Beth, pero la mayoría online me conoce como Lomi, por mi canal de YouTube, “Lomi’s Playground”. Soy una especie de artista todo-terreno viviendo en la tierra del Delta azul, Tennessee, en Estados Unidos. De hecho soy un transplante –crecí cerca de St. Louis en Missouri, y todavía no he aprendido a hacer un té dulce perfecto ¡pero estoy aprendiendo!



Do you have any artistic education? How did you find out about BJDs and the doll hobby?
I was an art major in college, with a focus on visual arts. I enjoyed my classes, but if I’m being honest, I didn’t learn a lot from them. I was more advanced than most of the class, which meant most of what I learned actually came from the guy I sat next to, who had worked as a comic artist with both Marvel and DC and was only there for an easy grade.
I wanted to be a middle school art teacher, but when I had the opportunity to volunteer teach at an education center for troubled children, I learned I couldn’t really handle it. The kids were amazing and I loved working with them, but it was so hard for me to say goodbye at the end of the semester.
Losing “my” group and starting over every semester made it incredibly difficult and I realized it wasn’t something I could do long-term. I ended up dropping out of school around that time to get married early because my sweetheart was scheduled for deployment to an active war zone.
With everything going on, a chance at having a life together seemed most important. I figured I’d eventually have another chance to teach something, and dolls ended up being a perfect lead-in to that! I’d discovered BJDs as a teenager, while looking at garage kits made by Volks. I loved the Super Dollfie line but didn’t think I’d ever be able to afford one. I hung around the fringes of the hobby for a long time before I decided I’d find a way to get involved. They were just too cool to pass up.
¿Tienes educación artistic? ¿Cómo conociste a las BJDs y el hobby de muñecas?
Era una estudiante de arte en la Universidad, con foco en artes visuales. Disfrutaba de mis clases, pero si soy honesta, no aprendí mucho de ellas. Era más avanzada que la mayoría de mi clase, lo que implica que la mayor parte de lo que realmente aprendí vino del chico que se sentaba a mi lado, quien había trabajado como artista de comic para Marvel y DC, y simplemente estaba ahí para tener un diploma fácil.
Yo quería enseñar arte en la escuela media, pero cuando tuve la oportunidad de ser voluntaria para enseñar en un centro de educación para niños con problemas, me dí cuenta que no podía manejarlo. Los niños son increíbles y adoraba trabajar con ellos, pero era demasiado difícil para mí despedirme al final del semestre.
Perder “mí” grupo y comenzar de nuevo cada semestre lo hizo muy difícil y me percaté que no era algo que pudiera hacer a largo plazo. Terminé dejando la universidad cerca de ahí, y me casé temprano porque mi pareja iba a ser enviado a una zona de guerra activa.
Con todo lo que pasaba, la oportunidad de tener una vida juntos parecía más importante. Supuse que eventualmente tendría otra oportunidad de enseñar algo, ¡y las muñcas han sido el camino perfecto hacia eso! Las descubrí de adolescente, mientras miraba los kit de garage ofrecidos por Volks. Adoraba la línea Super Dollfie, pero no pensé que estuviera a mi alcancé. Me mantuve al borde del hobby por un largo tiempo, antes de decidir involucrarme. Eran demasiado geniales como para dejarlas de lado.



You are an amazing content creator, and share so many tutorials! How did you started on this? Do you have a workplace?
Aw, thank you! Amazing might be generous. My start was kind of accidental, to be honest! I was the first person I knew to get into BJDs and a lot of my friends were curious about what I was doing with them. Since many of my friends are scattered across the globe, I thought filming myself painting my dolls would be a cool thing to share with them. So I just started recording things as I did them. I never expected my videos would end up being popular. I was absolutely floored when people I didn’t even know started watching me create things, but I quickly figured out it was a perfect chance to chase that desire to teach and encourage people to follow their creative passions. I have an enormous stash of art supplies from when I worked as a supervisor at the local Michaels arts and crafts store, but I left that job in 2013 after my daughter was born. My husband has been gracious enough to let me take over an entire room as my workshop. I’m blessed to have the opportunity to stay home with my little one and follow my creative passions, though it does mean my hobbies have to pay for themselves to continue.
Eres una increíble creadora de contenido ¡y compartes muchos tutoriales! ¿Cómo comenzaste con esto? ¿Tienes un espacio de trabajo?
¡Ay, gracias! “Increíble” es muy generoso. Mis inicios fueron accidentales, ¡para ser honesta! Fui la primera persona que conocí en iniciarse con las BJDs, y muchos de mis amigos estaban interesados en qué hacía con ellas. Dado que muichos están esparcidos por el mundo, pensé que filmarme pintando mis muñecos sería algo genial para compartir con ellos. Así que empecé a grabar las cosas mientras las hacía. Nunca creí que mis videos serían populares. Estaba increíblemente encantada cuando gente que no conocía empezó a verme crear cosas, y rápidamente me dí cuenta que era la oportunidad perfecta para perseguir ese deseo de eneseñar y ayudar a las personas a seguir sus pasiones creativas. Tengo una gran cantidad de cosas artísticas de cuando trabajé como supervisora en un local de Michael’s y que dejé en 2013 cuando nació mi hija. Mi esposo me ha dejado tomar una habitación entera como mi espacio de trabajo. Es una bendición poder estar en casa con mi pequeña y continuar con mis pasiones creativas, aunque eso significa que mis hobbies se tienen que pagar por su cuenta para que yo pueda continuarlos.



You always make amazing sewing and share many tutorials (with patterns!). How did you started sewing? What challenges you the most? Any advice you would give to a newbie?
I’ve been sewing for as long as I can remember, though not necessarily well! My grandmother made a lot of clothing for me when I was a child and she used to let me sew things with the scraps. More often than not I ended up sewing things to my pants by mistake.
When I was a teen, I experimented with making custom plushies, but I never tried making clothes or anything until I got my first BJD in 2010. It was back when the Iplehouse EID guys were new and you couldn’t get clothes for them anywhere, so I figured out pretty quick that I’d have to learn to do something about it.
I started teaching myself not just how to sew, but how to create patterns to fit my dolls, too. For a while, I sold my work through Etsy and a doll shop in Illinois, but I get bored sewing the same thing over and over again, and I’m too nervous to sew for dolls I don’t have on hand, so now I restrict my work to my own dolls. I post all my patterns for free on my website and try to create a video tutorial for each one.
Sometimes I get overwhelmed by all the ideas I have, so I try to let my Patreon supporters vote on what kind of patterns or designs they’d like to see me make next. In return, they get the pattern and tutorials before anyone else, but they also get occasional extras as I experiment with new creative pursuits.
I think getting overwhelmed by projects is my biggest difficulty—I’m really bad about biting off more than I can chew. I’m trying to get better about that. The best thing I can suggest to anyone new is to just pace yourself and take your time! Don’t be like me. There’s no need to get stressed over a project, especially if it’s supposed to be fun. If it stops being fun, put it aside and take a break. It’ll still be there later.
Tú eres increíble con la costura y compartes muchos tutoriales (¡con patrones!). ¿Cómo comenzaste a coser? ¿Qué es lo que más te desafía? ¿Algún consejo que le darías a alguien empezando?
He cosido desde que puedo recordarlo ¡aunque no necesariamente bien! Mi abuela me hizo mucha ropa cuando era pequeña, y me dejaba coser mis cosas con los retazos. Muy a menudo terminaba cosiendo las cosas a mis pantalones por error.
Cuando era adolescente, experimenté con hacer peluches pero nunca intenté hacer ropa o algo hasta que tuve mi primera BJD en 2010. Era cuando los muchachos Iplehouse EID eran nuevos, y no se podía conseguir ropa en ningún lado, así que pronto entendí que tenía que hacer algo al respecto.
Empecé a enseñarme no sólo como coser, sino también a crear patrones que le sirvieran a mis muñecos. Por un tiempo vendí mis cosas en Etsy y en una tienda de muñecos en Illinois, pero me aburre coser lo mismo una y otra vez, y me pone nerviosa coser para muñecos que no tengo a mano, así que restrinjo mi trabajo para mis propias muñecas. Comparto todos mis patrones gratis en mi sitio web, e intento crear un video tutorial para cada uno.
A veces me sobrecargo con todas las ideas que tengo, así que dejo que mis supporters en Patreon voten qué clase de patrón quieren que haga. A cambio, ellos tienen los patrones y tutoriales mucho antes, y a veces tienen extras que uso para experimentar en nuevas persecutas creativas.
Creo que sobrecargarme con projectos es mi dificultar más grande: soy muy mala respecto a llevar más de lo que puedo cargar. Lo mejor que le puedo sugerir a alguien nuevo, es que vayan lento y se tomen su tiempo. ¡No sean como yo! No hay necesidad de estresarse por un proyecto, especialmente si se supone que debería ser divertido. Si deja de serlo, tomen un descanso y déjendlo de lado. Aún estará allí luego.



And you also work on faceups and blushing. Which are your favorite materials? And your favorite work? What tutorial would you recommend the most?
Gosh, I use so many materials now that it’s hard to pick. I think I like acrylic paints best of all, but they aren’t practical for some things. I don’t have a brand loyalty anymore. I use just about anything I can get my hands on, if only because I love experimenting. Sometimes less expensive materials work just as well as the pricey ones.
The only thing I really loved was Citadel Purity Seal for sealing faceups and blushing, but Games Workshop has discontinued it, so I don’t know what I’m going to do now. I’m in the process of setting up my workshop to use my airbrush with Mr. Hobby clear flat, which is just MSC in a jar. It’s a little trickier to use than a spray can, but much more cost efficient and just as durable. I hope it holds up as well as Purity Seal in the long run. My favorite faceups were done with Purity Seal—the faceup on the open eyed faceplate of my Feeple65 Chloe, Firal, and the faceup on my Iplehouse SID Omar, Arrios.
A lot of people didn’t like what I did with Arrios, but his faceup was a real turning point for me. I still think his eyebrows are the best I’ve done, so the video where I painted him is the one I always show people when they ask about painting dolls. Ironically, the tutorials that helped me most weren’t for dolls at all, but brush calligraphy. I watch a ton of those on YouTube and they’re amazing for teaching you brush control!
También haces maquillajes y blushings. ¿Cuáles son tus materiales favoritos? ¿Y tu trabajo favorito? ¿Qué tutorial recomendarías más?
Uso tantos materiales ahora que es difícil elegir. Creo que los mejores son los acrílicos, pero no son prácticos para todo. Ya no soy leal a una sóla marca. Uso todo en lo que pongo mis manos, sólo porque me encanta experimentar. A veces materiales económicos funcionan igual de bien que aquellos más caros.
Lo que sí adoraba era el Citadel Purity Seal para sellar maquillajes y blushings, pero Games Workshop lo ha descontinuado, así que no sé qué es lo que haré. Estoy intentando armar mi espacio de trabajo para usar Mr. Hobby Clear Flat, que es básicamente el MSC a pincel. Es un poco complicado usar, pero mucho más eficiente y dura lo mismo. Espero que a largo plazo funcione igual de bien que el Purity Seal. Mis maquillajes favoritos fueron hechos con Purity Seal -el maquillaje en la cabeza de ojos abiertos de mi Fairyland Feeple65 Chloe, Firal, y el de mi Iplehouse SID Omar, Arrios.
A muchos no les gustó lo que hice con Arrios, pero él fue un punto de quiebre para mí. Aún sostengo que sus cejas son las mejores que he hecho, así que su video es el que más enseño cuando la gente me pide tutoriales para pintar muñecos. Irónicamente, los tutoriales que más me ayudaron a mí no eran de muñecas, sino de caligrafía con pincel. Miro muchos de esos en YouTube, ¡y son increíbles enseñando a controlar el pincel!



Other tutorials are about modifications, color matching and more “daring” stuff. What inspired you to make those? What is the most valuable lesson you learned? And your favorite result?
Well, no one else was doing tutorials on those when I needed them, so I felt like I was getting into modifications blind. I had to teach myself everything and I made a lot of mistakes, but I figured the worst thing that could happen was I’d mess something up—possibly on camera—and people would laugh at me. If nothing else, they’d learn what not to do in a modification project! I learned so much in doing them and I’ve been able to apply those skills to other parts of my life, which is kind of funny.
You wouldn’t think it, but the techniques and materials I use for modifying dolls are the same ones I use in doing body repairs on American muscle cars. I love versatility, and that’s probably why I rely so much on things like Bondo body filler and sandable automotive primer. I can use it for the project in my craft room and the project in my driveway, too! Which reminds me, I should totally do a photo shoot of my big resin guys with the 1970 Chevelle SS I’ll be working on this summer.
I actually wouldn’t have the courage to take on that project if not for my dolls. Trial and error with modifying such expensive dolls has shown me that I can do anything I put my mind to, as long as I don’t get discouraged when things don’t go right the first try. You’ll fail many more times than you succeed, but it’s an important part of the process.
My favorite project to date has been Rune, my heavily modified EID Luo, but he’s basically one big failed project because nothing worked out the way I envisioned. It doesn’t matter. I’ll try again and keep trying until I get it just right.
Otros tutoriales son sobre modificaciones, match de color, y cosas más “difíciles”. ¿Qué te ha inspirado a hacer eso? ¿Cuál es la lección más valiosa que aprendiste? ¿Y tú resultado favorito?
Bueno, nadie más hacía esos tutoriales cuando los necesité, así que sentí que lo hacía a ciegas. Tuve que aprender todo y cometí muchos errores, pero descubrí que lo peor que podía pasar era arruinar algo –posiblemente en cámara- y que la gente se riera de mí. Si no pasaba nada más, ¡ellos aprendería qué no hacer en un proyecto de modificación! Aprendí mucho haciéndolo, y he logrado aplicar esas habilidades en otras partes de mi vida, lo que es gracioso.
No lo pensarías, pero las técnicas y materiales que uso para reparar muñecas son los mismos que uso para hacer reparaciones de carrocería en los autos tipo American-muscle. Me encanta la versatilidad, y es por eso que caigo mucho en usar el Bondo “body filler” y primer de autos lijable. Puedo usarlo para mis proyectos y para mis autos ¡también! Lo que m recuerda, que debería hacer una foto de mis chicos de resina con mi Chevelle SS 1970 en el que he trabajaré este verano.
De hecho, no tendría coraje de hacer ese proyecto, de no ser por mis muñecas. Prueba y error al modificar muñecas tan caras me hizo notar que puedo hacer todo lo que me proponga, mientras que no me sienta mal cuando las cosas no salen bien a primeras. Puedes fallar muchas veces más de las que tendrás éxito, pero es una parte importante del proyecto.
Mi proyecto favorito fue Rune, mi Iplehouse EID Luo altamente modificado. Pero él es un gran proyecto fallido, ya que nada funcionó como esperaba. Pero no importa, intentaré de nuevo hasta que las cosas salgan bien.



A little off-topic for dolls, but you also write books! Would you share a little about your stories? Do you have “doll forms” of your characters?
Yes!! I actually don’t think it’s off topic at all, haha. Writing is my first passion, and it was the biggest reason I decided to dive into BJDs. I desperately wanted physical representations of the characters from my stories, so if not for the books, I’d have no dolls.
I write in two really different genres. I write quirky and slightly cheesy paranormal romances about vampires, because I’m totally goth at heart, and then there’s my fantasy stories, which all my dolls’ characters are from. I’d love to have a doll to represent Kade, my vampire cowboy bounty hunter, but I don’t have room for any more projects right now. Balancing writing and working on my dolls has actually been really difficult the past year because I’ve tried to be more aggressive with my writing production, but I only have an hour or two each day where I can work on projects.
I used to work slower, but then I made the decision to produce some of my books independently and realized I had to up my game. When I started the vampire series with Kade, I had several publishers interested in my work. But when we started talking about things like royalty rates and marketing, I realized that for such a niche market as vampire stories, they actually had nothing to offer me that I couldn’t do by myself. So while I try to produce those books faster to keep up with a fast-paced market, I’m still trying to pay attention to my fantasy characters, both dolls and books.
Rune’s story is my favorite—it’s a six book epic fantasy series largely based on his need to find a place in a world that rejects him after wild magic turns him into a monster. His story has always spoken to me for a number of reasons. I’ve always felt like a little bit of an outsider, and growing up as one of seven kids, I had a deep need for recognition of me as a person. That’s really prevalent in Rune’s story, too. All six books have been finished for a while and I think there are young people out there who will really connect to that feeling of needing to belong, but I’m still torn on what to do with the books. I’ve been querying agents and have had some interest, but the way modern publishers treat their authors is horrible.
Being involved in such an artistic hobby as BJDs has really driven home how valuable creative work is. I strongly believe creators of all sorts deserve to be fairly compensated for their work, so I don’t know. I may end up taking a fully independent route with those books, as well. Even if I never sell a lot of copies, I’ll be standing behind my principles while still doing the absolute best work I can.
Un poco off-topic de las muñecas ¡pero también escribes libros! ¿Compartirías tus historias? ¿Tus muñecos forman parte de esas historias?
¡¡Sii!! De hecho, no creo que sea off-topic para nada. Escribir es mi pasión principal, y fue la principal razón por la que me fui a las BJDs. Yo quería, desesperadamente, representasiones físicas de los personajes de mis historias, así que de no ser por los libros, no tendría muñecas.
Escribo en dos géneros diferentes. Algunos romances paranormales sobre vampiros, porque soy una goth completa de corazón, y luego historias de fantasía, y de ahí vienen todas mis muñecas. Me gustaría tener un muñeco para Kade, mi vaquero casarecompensas, pero no tengo espacio para más proyectos. Balancear escribir y trabajar en mis muñecas ha sido muy difícil y de hecho el año pasado intenté ser más agresiva con mi producción escrita, pero sólo tengo una o dos horas al día para trabajar en ello.
Solía trabajar más lento, pero luego tomé la decisión de producir algunos libros independientemente y tuve que mejorar. Cuando comencé la serie de vampiros con Kade, tuve varias editoriales interesadas. Pero al hablar de beneficios y mercadeo, me di cuenta que para un mercado tan nicho como las historias de vampiros, ellos no tenían nada para ofrecer que yo no pudiera hacer por mí misma. Así que mientras intento hacer esos libros rápido para continuar en un rápido mercado, también estoy intentando atender mis personajes de fantasía, en libros y muñecos.
La historia de Rune es mi favorita. Es una fantasía épica de seis libros, mayormente basada en la necesidad de encontrar un lugar en el mundo que lo rechaza luego de que magia salvaje lo convierte en un monstruo. Su historia siempre me ha hablado por muchos motivos. Siempre me sentí como un extranjero, y creciendo como uno de siete hermanos, tenía una alta necesidad de que me reconocieran como persona. Eso prevalece mucho en la historia de Rune. Los seis libros han estado terminados por un tiempo, y creo que mucha gente joven puede conectar con el sentimiento y la necesidad de pertenecer, pero estoy dividida en qué hacer con los libros. He estado charlando con agentes interesados, pero la forma en que los editores tratan a sus autores es horrible.
Estar involucrada en un hobby tan artístico como las BJDs ha llevado a casa cuán valioso es el trabajo creativo. Creo que todos los creadores merecen ser recompensados por su trabajo, así que no sé. Puedo terminar en una ruta completamente independiente con esos libros. Incluso si nunca vendo muchas copias, estaré parada con mis principios y haciendo el mejor trabajo que pueda.



Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
I couldn’t keep creating if not for the incredible community of BJD hobbyists. Thank you all so much for the interest and support you give me. Your kind words are a bright spot in my life every single day. I want to keep giving back to the community with whatever I can offer for as long as I’m, so thanks for providing a platform where I can do it... and for being so wonderful and patient when grown-up life catches up with me and I fall behind!
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que quisieras compartir con nosotros?
No podría continuar creando de no ser por esta incréible comunidad de hobbystas BJDs. Muchas gracias a todos por el interés que me dan. Sus amables palabras son una luz en mi vida todos los días. Quiero poder continuar dándole a la comunidad todo lo que pueda ofrecer, así que gracias por proveerme una plataforma donde hacerlo… ¡y por ser tan pacientes e increíbles cuando la vida me alcanza y me retraso!


Thank you very much for doing the interview! It’s been an honor!
I’m honored to be a part of it! Thank you so much for inviting me to speak, and thank you to everyone who read the whole thing!
¡Muchas gracias por la entrevista! ¡Ha sido un honor!
¡Estoy honrada de ser parte de esto! ¡Muchas gracias por invitarme a charlar, y gracias a todos los que se leyeron todo!



And this was all for today!! If you want to find Lomi, access her tutorials and support her, you can find her on the following links:
If you want to share the interview, feel free to share a link, but do not repost the interview. If you want to translate it to another language, please ask me first.

And there! Go check her videos and learn, Lomi is incredibly talented and dedicated. I hope you have enjoyed this, and once again I want to thank her for being part of this interview. Have a great weekend, everyone!

8 comments :

  1. Once again, thank you for highlighting a wonderful artist I would never have found on my own. This has been exciting and great fun to read--and I can't wait to follow up and look at some of Lomi's tutorials. I love the final photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, thank you! I'm really happy to be able to contribute to people in the hobby meeting new artists! I love Lomi's work, and that final photo is awesome,isn't it? :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, I'd never known about Lomi if you hadn't posted this interview! Thank you for letting us all know more about her. ^__^ I will go and see her creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help!! :D And I'm glad you liked the interview!

      Delete
  3. Genial, no hay otra palabra para describir a esta mujer. Es auténticamente una artista de alma y sus trabajos son preciosos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totalmente de acuerdo!!! ¡Gracias por leer la entrevista! :D

      Delete
  4. Just a couple of days ago I found her on YouTube, by watching her video about how to make a pair of flat shoes (Making ballet flat style shoes for BJDs). I thought her video was simple and easy to follow. This was a great interview, always good to learn more about the artist, the background, their story! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you liked the interview! And I know, her tutorials are so easy to follow!

      Delete